Tips for buying, repairing and maintaining an air conditioner
Air Conditioning: Buying, Repairing, and Maintenance
You can lower your heating and cooling bills!What Size Portable Air Conditioner Does My Room Need?
Before you buy an air conditioner, take these simple steps to figure out your cooling needs, and you're sure to make a much smarter investment in your comfort.Adding an Air Conditioning/Heating Vent
Is adding an additional A/C vent a do-it-yourself job? And how to you find out of your current air conditioning unit can handle cooling/heating the additional space?
Solving a Dust Problem: Is It Coming from the Air Conditioning Ducts?
TDS readers share their air conditioning maintenance tips that have helped cut down on the amount of dust on their homes.Buy A New Air Conditioner?
Here's a look at three topics that can help you determine whether investing in a new air coniditoning unit will be cost-efficient: air conditioner efficiency, selecting the right size air conditioner and buying a new air conditioning system.Air Conditioner Maintenance with Permanent A/C Filters
Are permanent washable filters as enery-efficient as the pleated throw-away kind? The cost of the throwaway filters is so low that monthly replacement will probably give better results than the purchase of an expensive washable filter. And they will save you time maintaining your air conditioner as well!Do Electrostatic Air Filters Work?
TDS readers and A/C experts share their experiences using electrostatuc air conditioner filters, their efficiency and their cost to maintain.Balancing Your Heat and A/C System
If your air conditioner/heating unit is not distributing air evenly through your house, there are two ways to solve this problem. The easiest and cost-free way is to simply partially close down all the other vents to force the air to flow more readily to the "starving" register. The other way, which would require more work and expense, would be to install a boosting fan for that register.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 4 ways to pay off your mortgage earlier
- How much does it cost to cool your home?
- Monthly dishwasher maintenance that can help you save
- Natural spider control
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs?
- Should I refinance my mortgage?
- Compare HELOC rates
- Check for a lower homeowners insurance rate
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?