FAQs for people considering bankruptcy
Use these guidelines to determine if bankruptcy might be the best choice for your financial situation.Debts that Can't Be Wiped Out in Bankruptcy
Certain debts can be covered in bankruptcy, but here are some you'll always have to pay back.Declaring Bankruptcy
Is it really a "get out of jail free card"?
Filing bankruptcy has some debt exclusions. These charges can usually be eliminated.Is Bankruptcy the Best Option for Your Debt?
Is it the best way out? Or are there better alternatives for you?
Have you decided not to do anything about your debts? Here's what the future has in store for you.Can Stigma of Bankruptcy Hurt a Job Hunt?
Bankruptcy can stymie a career move. Here's how to beat the stigma and land a new job.Should I Stop Paying Bills before Filing Bankruptcy?
You can stop paying some bills before filing bankruptcy, but it might mean more headaches. Here's why.Can I File Bankruptcy on the Taxes I Owe the IRS?
Bankruptcy might help, but before you take that route, consider this option.
Are you struggling to get ahead financially? We can help.
Subscribe to our free Surviving Tough Times newsletter.
Your financial "sins" won't go away if you file bankruptcy. Take a look at the big picture.Should I Take Out a Loan to File for Bankruptcy?
Incurring more debt to get rid of debt could be trouble once you get to court.Answers to 10 Tough Bankruptcy Questions
Bankrate's Bankruptcy Adviser answers frequently asked questions from readers.
Am I a good candidate for bankruptcy?Worst-Case Scenarios when Filing Bankruptcy
What's the worst that can happen when you file bankruptcy or go into credit counseling?Will My 401(k) Be Safe if I File for Bankruptcy?
Retirement money is safe in bankruptcy, as long as you keep it in the right place.Should I File for Bankruptcy with a $12K Debt?
Bankruptcy isn't a cure-all. You should avoid it if you can't afford these consequences.12 Myths about Bankruptcy
Facing bankruptcy is bad enough. Don't dig a deeper hole with faulty assumptions.
More Debt Tips & Tools
- 6 smart strategies for paying off your credit cards
- 5 great second jobs to bring in extra cash
- Pay down debt now or save: Here's how to choose
- Can I get a debt consolidation loan with bad credit?
- Easy ways to build an emergency fund
- Key steps to break away from "keeping up with the Joneses" syndrome
- When you're seriously upside down on your auto loan
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Reduce your debt step by step
- Am I a good candidate for credit counseling?
- Do I have a debt problem?
- Compare personal loan rates
- Get free answers to financial questions
- Get free answers to legal questions
- Calculate the real cost of your debt
- Debt pay-down calculator
- Calculate the true cost of paying just the minimum