Guidelines to help decide if bankruptcy is the best solution for you
Deciding Whether to File Bankruptcy
Use these guidelines to determine if bankruptcy might be the best choice for your financial situation.Struggling Under Medical and Credit Card Debt
What are the best options?Should I File for Bankruptcy with a $12K Debt?
Bankruptcy isn't a cure-all. You should avoid it if you can't afford these consequences.
Can Bankruptcy Wipe Out Student Debt?
The Department of Education is supposed to get more reasonable about approving federal student loans for discharge in bankruptcy. Until then, these are your options.File Bankruptcy Myself, Stop Wage Garnishment?
You don't need a lawyer, but you do need to take these steps to protect pay through bankruptcy.Multiple Forms of Debt Could Mean Bankruptcy
For debts ranging from back taxes to lawsuits, look at all your options before seeking bankruptcy.Choose Bankruptcy?
When credit counseling is not enough to overcome your debt problem.Deciding Whether to File Bankruptcy
When you're free of an upside-down mortgage but still shackled by debt, bankruptcy isn't always the answer.
Have you decided not to do anything about your debts? Here's what the future has in store for you.Should I File Bankruptcy to Avoid Debt Collectors?
Debts of $15K aren't outrageous, but when you're jobless, bankruptcy may work best.When to Choose Bankruptcy over Debt Management
Bankruptcy and debt management are two ways to get out of debt. Which is right for you?
Are you struggling to get ahead financially? We can help.
Subscribe to our free Surviving Tough Times newsletter.
What's the worst that can happen when you file bankruptcy or go into credit counseling?Declaring Bankruptcy
Is it the best way out?
More Debt Tips & Tools
- 6 smart strategies for paying off your credit cards
- 5 great second jobs to bring in extra cash
- Pay down debt now or save: Here's how to choose
- Can I get a debt consolidation loan with bad credit?
- Easy ways to build an emergency fund
- Key steps to break away from "keeping up with the Joneses" syndrome
- When you're seriously upside down on your auto loan
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Reduce your debt step by step
- Am I a good candidate for credit counseling?
- Do I have a debt problem?
- Compare personal loan rates
- Get free answers to financial questions
- Get free answers to legal questions
- Calculate the real cost of your debt
- Debt pay-down calculator
- Calculate the true cost of paying just the minimum