Options for stopping or dealing with wage garnishments and account levies for unpaid debts
Wage Garnishments & Levied Bank Accounts
If you find yourself with an Administrative Wage Garnishment, here are your best ways out.How Do I Protect My Money from Garnishment?
There are limits to what creditors can take -- especially if you have the right paperwork.
File Bankruptcy Myself, Stop Wage Garnishment?
You don't need a lawyer, but you do need to take these steps to protect pay through bankruptcy.As My Dad's Power of Attorney, Can My Wages Be Garnished for His Debt?
A daughter with power of attorney put Dad in nursing care. Is she liable for his debt?Bankruptcy Filing Should Halt Bank Levies
When you file bankruptcy, attempts to recover your debt should stop, including collection efforts.
Am I a good candidate for bankruptcy?Help! My Account's Been Levied
You can try to get the money back, but it will likely cost you more in the interim.3 Ways to Fight a Creditor's Account Levy
If a creditor taps your bank balance, you have these limited options to hold onto your money.Can a Creditor Garnish Jobless Benefits?
Except in a few instances, unemployment benefits are exempt. Watch out for these exceptions.
Are you struggling to get ahead financially? We can help.
Subscribe to our free Surviving Tough Times newsletter.
Old debt never dies, but there is an expiration on a creditor's ability to garnish wages.Can Creditors Drain Your Joint Accounts, Too?
Creditors can nab your savings with a bank levy. Can they go after your parents?Two Wage Garnishments May Get You Fired
Get past garnished wages so they won't derail your career..Can My Wages Be Garnished for Old Judgment?
This case could haunt you for decades. It's time to face your old debt and deal with it.Fighting a Bank Levy with Few Options
Maybe the statute of limitations has run out on your debt. If not, a bank levy is tough to overcome.
More Debt Tips & Tools
- 6 smart strategies for paying off your credit cards
- 5 great second jobs to bring in extra cash
- Pay down debt now or save: Here's how to choose
- Can I get a debt consolidation loan with bad credit?
- Easy ways to build an emergency fund
- Key steps to break away from "keeping up with the Joneses" syndrome
- When you're seriously upside down on your auto loan
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Reduce your debt step by step
- Am I a good candidate for credit counseling?
- Do I have a debt problem?
- Compare personal loan rates
- Get free answers to financial questions
- Get free answers to legal questions
- Calculate the real cost of your debt
- Debt pay-down calculator
- Calculate the true cost of paying just the minimum