Old Man Winter has high-jacked his car
Frozen Car Doors
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
5 Ways to Prepare Your Car for Winter
A Winter Emergency Kit
I need to know how to open my frozen car door. the snow is coming and I need to do it fast.
How frozen is it? Is it just the lock or is it the entire door? Are both sides frozen? If it is just the lock, take your key, and hold it to a lighter. Heat the key and stick it in the lock. That would help melt the ice. Once you get it open, spray it with WD-40. That will displace any remaining water so it won't freeze again.
If the entire door is frozen shut, then carefully chip away at the ice around the edges. Be careful not to go too deep, remember there is a car under there. You don't want to scratch your paint or something worse. If you still can't get it open, try some windshield washer fluid. That has a little alcohol in it and should help melt the ice.
Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
If all else fails, try hot water. Pour it over the frozen places to help melt the ice. You gotta be quick though, because you don't want it to re-freeze and make life worse. And you don't want to do it too much because you may melt the wax on the car's surface. Once you melt the ice, you must dry it thoroughly... if you don't, you will be faced with this same situation shortly.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive maintenance section and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Get all the facts before you buy or sell a vehicle. Edmunds.com will give you what you need to know to make a confident deal.
- Make sure you are not overpaying for auto insurance. See how much you could save with just a few clicks. Fast, free quotes and online comparisons.
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 4 ways to pay off your mortgage earlier
- Preparing your home for sale
- How to seal your basement from outside moisture
- 4 ways to extend the life of your car
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs?
- Should I refinance my mortgage?
- Compare HELOC rates
- Check for a lower homeowners insurance rate
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?