How to control backyard mosquitos
Natural Backyard Mosquito Control
Using Natural Oils to Repel Mosquitos Naturally
Get Rid of Those Pesky Flying Insects
Ways to Save on Natural Pest Control
Natural Backyard Mosquito Control
Do you have any hints on how to take back the backyard from the mosquitoes this summer? I would like to enjoy the great outdoors in my country home again.
Bats Naturally Control Mosquitos
Buy a bat house! My co-operative extension has them at a reasonable price (they also sell birdhouses). Put the houses up according to the directions (for the correct height and amount of sunlight) and let the bats do the work.
We camp all summer at a wooded lot and have almost no mosquitoes there. The bats come out each night. We can watch them as we sit around the campfire. If you are handy with tools, you can build your own bat house from scrap wood. Directions are available from the co-operative extension, on the net, or check out your local library.
Lemon Mosquito Control
Mosquitoes hate lemon scent. I spray my entire yard with equal parts of lemon dish soap, lemon ammonia, and lemon juice. Do this every two weeks with a 20-gallon sprayer, and you won't be on the mosquito menu this summer.
Short Grass Prevents Mosquito Breeding
Keep the grass cut as short as possible and clear away any kinds of containers that might hold collected water (tubs, barrels, lids, etc.) in which mosquitoes love to breed.
Grandma's Natural Mosquito Control
Lemongrass is a natural mosquito repellent and one that my grandmother swears by. Depending on the layout of the area you're trying to "de-mosquito," you may even be able to plant some directly into your gardens or borders. We are going to put pots of lemongrass around the deck area in our backyard.
Garlic Controls Mosquitos
You should be able to go to your local nursery or plant store and ask for a product called Garlic Barrier. You spray it on with a fertilizer sprayer. There are certain guidelines that you must follow to get the best results. For example, you must spray it on a day with low winds and no rain in the forecast for a few days ahead. It's very successful when applied correctly and will not harm children or pets.
Amy of Richmond, MI
Bounce Mosquito Control
Put a Bounce dryer sheet in the waistband of your clothes and it will ward off mosquitoes. Also make sure you don't have standing water in the yard.
Mosquito Control by Purple Martins
For mosquito control, nothing beats purple martins and mud martins. Put up some purple martin houses. We got our 12 family birdhouse and the pole at Wal-Mart. These birds eat their weight in mosquitoes every day. When the little mud martins come and build their little mud houses in the eaves of your house, don't tear them down. They are very much worth the mess they make. We never have mosquitoes when they take up residence. Alas, we moved a block away last year and they didn't find us, but hopefully they will this year.
Shop the web's most popular pest control store at DoMyOwnPestControl.com
Citronella in Backyard
Having lived in towns where mosquitoes and malaria were a problem I managed to control this by doing the following:
Citronella! I had citronella plants all over my garden, burnt citronella oil in my candles and bought citronella candles for outdoors from the store, added citronella oil to my cream and shampoo, and sprinkled citronella oil around my house! When going outside, we used to either rub some cream around the exposed areas of our body or rub several drops of citronella oil in our hands and then wipe our hands on our clothes and especially our ankles.
More backyard pest control solutions:
Battling Flies & Mosquitos
All-Natural Ant Repellent
Backyard Ant Control Safe for Pets and Kids
Preventing and Controlling Fleas & Ticks
Take the Next Step:
- Are you battling any other types of pests in your home or yard or just want to prevent them? Take a look at all of our natural pest control solutions. From bees to fleas and everything in between, The Dollar Stretcher can help you save money battling bugs naturally.
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Winter energy saving ideas for renters
- How to control carpenter ants
- 3 things you need to know about free firewood
- Essential fall home repairs
- Fill your home with things that you love
- Organize your garage
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?