How to avoid repackaged refills
Homemade Floor Cleaner Recipes
Cleaning Engineered Hardwood Floors
Cleaners for Laminate Floors
No-Wax Floor Care
Homemade Floor Cleaner
I am looking for a way to make the cleaner that comes in the attachable bottles of floor cleaner on products like "Clorox Ready Mop." I tried some ammonia with water, but it left water spots on the floor. The purchased cleaner leaves the floor clean and shiny, but it is very expensive. I love the convenience of this mop in my kitchen, but I don't love the expense. Can anyone help with a recipe for a homemade version of the floor cleaner?
Baby Shampoo Cleans My Floors
I use Johnson's Baby Shampoo (about 1 to 2 tsp. per gallon of water). This cleans really well. I learned this tip from a professional cleaner of a beauty shop chain.
Great Homemade Floor Cleaner: Vinegar and Water
Try a solution of vinegar and water in a spray bottle. This is actually recommended on the website of the company that produced our floors. I have a hunch it might work for linoleum or tile floors, too, though I have not tried it.
My Homemade Floor Cleaner: Water and Rubbing Alcohol
I happened on a bottle of cleaner at Menard's that actually had the ingredients listed on the floor cleaner. It consisted of water, several types of alcohol and fragrance. I have laminate wood flooring and was looking for a cheaper way to use my Swiffer. So I experimented with placing eight ounces of rubbing alcohol with 32 ounces of hot water. It works great! I still purchase the Swiffer pads in the economy box, but I spray the floor with my solution first.
Homemade All-Purpose Floor Cleaner
An economical, non-rinse cleaner can be made by mixing the following ingredients.
1/4 cup Dish soap
2 cups Vinegar
1 cup Lemon juice
1 to 2 cups Water
Great for cleaning, floors, bathrooms, walls, etc.
Try This Homemade Recipe
I wanted to re-fill the bottle to my Clorox mop. So, I came up with a great recipe. Use two tablespoons of ammonia, 1/2 cup of rubbing alcohol, 1/2 teaspoon of dish soap, and enough water to fill to the top. Give it a try!
Clear your clutter the fast and easy way with Goodbye Clutter!
Floor Installer's Advice on Homemade Cleaners
I have the Clorox Wet Mop system. A friend told me that she was told by the Vinyl Floor Installer to clean the floor with diluted window cleaner. Use one part Window Cleaner to one part hot water. I just mix it and put it in my mop's solution container. It works great!
Take the Next Step:
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE.
- Never overspend for store-bought cleaners again. Use The Dollar Stretcher's Guide to Homemade Cleaners to find frugal, effective recipes for keeping your entire house and laundry clean and fresh.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 4 ways to pay off your mortgage earlier
- What tools do you need to start a food garden?
- DIY repair of ripped window and door screens
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs?
- Should I refinance my mortgage?
- Compare HELOC rates
- Check for a lower homeowners insurance rate
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?