Is cleaning nicotine stains that have built up over years even possible?
Cleaning Nicotine Stains
Spring Cleaning the Natural Way
Natural Homemade Room and Fabric Deodorizers
Cleaning Nicotine Stains
Does anyone know what will remove old nicotine stains that have built up over the years? My DS and DDIL are buying a foreclosure, and it needs a lot of work.
TSP Cleans Stains
I have used TSP
product found at ACE hardware stores to clean nicotine stains. This product cleans very nicely. Just follow the directions on the package. It removed 40 years of nicotine buildup and stains in a home that we purchased.
3-Step Approach to Cleaning Nicotine Stains
After owning a hardware store for many years, I recommend to:
- Clean with TSP.
- Paint with B-I-N Shellac Base Primer
- Paint whatever color you choose.
Be sure to follow all manufacturers' directions on their containers.
Debbie in MA
Ammonia and Water Removes Nicotine Stains
To clean nicotine stains, wash the walls with a solution of ammonia and water. Use about 1/2 cup of ammonia to a gallon of warm water. If you plan to paint the walls, prime them first with something like KILZ.
Nicotine Stains Are Just Grime
I use a product named Mean Green.
You can get it from Dollar General stores in a gallon size or a spray bottle. Just spray it on the walls and the nicotine just rolls off. This product doesn't smell so great, but it does cut the grime.
Another Ammonia Proponent
I have had excellent luck cleaning smoking stains with ammonia! I have cleaned bars in the past and nothing worked as well as the ammonia. You can adjust the strength accordingly. Of course, you should always wear a mask and make sure the area is well ventilated, as the smell can really get to you.
Block the Stains from Returning
I would try Krud Kutter It can be found in the paint department of Wal-Mart. It has done well for me in removing even old messes that have sat for years.
After you clean the walls, ceiling, doors, moldings, window glass and floor, you will need to seal all the porous areas like ceiling plaster or tiles or the odors and stains may seep back in and ruin your new paint and cleaning job. Use KILZ® to seal the surfaces before you re-paint; the latex version works just fine.
Take the Next Step:
- Find out how easy it is to make more room while making money with Decluttr.
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE.
- Never overspend for store-bought cleaners again. Use The Dollar Stretcher's Guide to Homemade Cleaners to find frugal, effective recipes for keeping your entire house and laundry clean and fresh.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor