Making your days more pleasant
8 Low-Cost Ways to Reduce Stress
by Veronica Bowman
3 Steps to Overcoming Money Stresses
3 Herbal Remedies for Anxiety
7 Totally Free Ways to Be Happier Today
Stress is something most of us are all too familiar with. People turn to a variety of activities to help them cope with stress. Over eating, indulging in unhealthy snacks, and excessive or compulsive shopping are just a few stress-relieving behaviors that can adversely affect your health or seriously damage your budget. The suggestions listed below are offered as healthy, budget-friendly ways to relieve stress.
- Take a hike. Sometimes just a walk down the hallway at work or a walk around the block can provide relief from a stressful moment. Incorporating a regular, mind-clearing walk into your daily routine is a great way to relieve stress.
- Meditation is an ideal way to relieve stress. All that you need is a quiet place and a few moments and you can experience the peacefulness that meditation offers. You can find tips for learning how to meditate at websites such as StopAndBreathe.com. You may find it helpful to create a meditation space in your home or yard.
- Listening to music is a great way to relieve stress. Some people find soothing music the best form of stress relief. For others, the best stress relieving music is something lively that they can sing along with or dance to. Find what works for you and let the music take away your stress.
- Observation and distraction are ways to reduce stress that cost you little or nothing. When you're feeling stressed about something, find an object or activity to focus on and give it your undivided attention. Everything from watching a sporting event to watching activity at a bird feeder fits into this category. If you're stressed over a problem, you will often find that if you allow something to distract you from that problem, a solution will come to mind. A hobby, a phone call to a friend, a housecleaning frenzy or numerous other activities can be stress-relieving distractions.
- Those that enjoy a frugal lifestyle are always interested in things that are both beneficial and inexpensive. Laughter is a wonderful way to relieve stress. George Gordon Byron advised, "Always laugh when you can; it is cheap medicine." That frugal advice is still relevant today.
- You can find numerous statistics that support the fact that pets help relieve stress. One source of information relating the positive benefits of pet ownership is HelpGuide.org. Here you will find information regarding the many therapeutic benefits a pet provides. A dog makes a great companion on a mind-clearing, stress reducing walk.
- A very inexpensive form of stress relief is journal writing. There are various ways to approach the process of journaling to relieve stress. An excellent source of inspiration and guidance can be found at EverydayHealth.com.
- Exercise has been described as "meditation in motion." According to the information provided at MayoClinic.org, exercise has some direct stress-busting benefits. Following the tips offered by the Mayo Clinic staff can get you headed in the right direction when it comes to setting up a stress-busting exercise routine that is best for you.
Imagine how much simpler life could be if
you were debt free.
The previously mentioned stress-reducing ideas involve little or no financial investment. They do require action and commitment on your part. Ultimately, finding and implementing ways to relieve stress is a personal process. You stand to gain in various areas of your life when you engage in stress-relieving activities that have health benefits and are emotionally uplifting.
Take the Next Step:
- Discover more frugal ways to reduce stress by visiting the Dollar Stretcher Library.
- Get free health insurance price comparisons for individuals and families.
- Join those who 'live better...for less' - Subscribe to The Dollar Stretcher newsletter, a weekly look at how to stretch both your day and your dollar! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
More Money-Saving Lifestyle Tips
- Pay attention to lose weight
- 7 easy steps to shedding clothing you'll never wear
- Natural home remedies for mosquito bites
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- 6 tips for a fabulously free vacation
- Secrets to living luxuriously for less
- Saving-money secrets of the rich and frugal
- This week's Readers' Tips