There are a few things you can do to get your refund faster
How to Get a Faster Tax Refund
by Ronald Ross
Where Should I Put My Savings to Get the Best Return?
Could Acquired Needs Theory Save You Money?
Free Get Out of Debt Course
If you are expecting a tax refund, you probably want to get the money as soon as possible. There are certain measures that can be taken to ensure that you get your tax refund quickly.
The first thing you should bear in mind is filing early. According to Tracie Miller-Nobles, a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and member of the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA), "The earlier you file your tax returns, the quicker you get a tax refund." It is always advised that you file your tax returns at the earliest possible period in order to enjoy the benefits of a quicker tax refund.
To guarantee a faster tax refund, always file your tax returns electronically. Frank X. Laborde, CPA and President of Laborde & Associates, PC in San Antonio, Texas is of the opinion that filing tax returns electronically guarantees a faster tax refund. There are several ways you can file electronically. People whose adjusted gross income is $62,000 or less annually can use the IRS free file software available online. In addition to this, there are several commercial online tax preparation services and software that can be used for a fee. The most popular commercial software programs are Intuit's Turbo Tax and Jackson Hewitt.
According to the Internal Revenue Service, the fastest way to get your tax refund is to have it directly deposited. Tracie L. Miller-Nobles, CPA, said, "It gets the money into your account faster and you don't have to worry about the post office losing the check." Uncle Sam is so nice that he allows you to choose up to three accounts with three different financial institutions to receive your tax refund.
One other tip you must keep in mind is to ensure that all information contained in your tax forms is correct. Although this seems like simple logic, it is often responsible for delayed tax refunds. Take time to review little details like your name, Social Security number, bank routing number, etc. If you recently got married or divorced or had any reason to do a change of name, double check that your current name is updated during your filing. Be very careful if you are using tax preparation software. In the case of multiple users, the software will automatically default to the name of the last person that used it for tax submission. Make sure you review all lines before you submit your form.
Get your biggest tax refund. Start free at TurboTax.
Also take note that you can check the status of your tax refund by downloading the IRS2GO app at IRS.gov/refunds. You can also check the status of your refund by calling the IRS Refund Hotline at 800-829-1954. To check the status of your refund, you need to provide your Social Security number, filing status, and exact whole dollar amount of your refund shown on your return.
Take the Next Step:
- Make sure you're getting the best CD rate. Use our simple CD tool to find out. It's completely private, easy to use and you'll know what rate is available to you in seconds!
- Get the interest you deserve! Compare money market and savings account rates with our best rate finder. It only takes a minute and your privacy is completely protected.
- Stop struggling to get ahead financially. Subscribe to our free weekly Surviving Tough Times newsletter aimed at helping you 'live better...for less'. Each issue features great ways to help you stretch your dollars and make the most of your resources. Subscribers get a copy of Are You Heading for Debt Trouble? A Simple Checklist And What You Can Do About It for FREE!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
Debt from my past is preventing me from saving for my future! Tell us: Yes, debt is hindering my ability to save and I could use help dealing with it! or No, debt is not a problem but I am trying to get ahead financially!
More Money Tips & Tools
- How to get a faster tax refund
- Personal finance calculators everyone should use
- Why you should know your credit card payment cutoff time
- Saving-money secrets of the rich and frugal
- 5 low-risk ways to earn higher interest now
- How to save money fast
- 7 IRA withdrawals that don't trigger a penalty
- This week's Readers' Tips